Can I come without registering?
Yes! Everyone is welcome at Airports for Autism! It is open to the general public, so feel free to come and cheer the runners and walkers and enjoy the community fair and even buy raffle tickets. However, for insurance reasons, only registered participants are allowed on the runway.
Do my young children have to be registered?
To be honest, we haven’t outlined any kind of strict policy on this. So if your child is basically tagging along with you and he’s still in a stroller or he’s under 5 or so, don’t feel obligated to register him. But if you want to register him, Rowell Family Empowerment will be happy to accept your donation. Remember, this is a fundraiser for a local organization that provides services to families of children with diverse abilities. But nobody’s gonna give you an awkward look when you take your little child onto the runway with you while you participate in the Fun Walk as a registered participant. We’ll be happy to see your family out there!
What about the weather?
Airports for Autism will happen rain or shine. Yes, rain would put a slight damper on the festivities but the show will go on. Barring a hurricane, wild fire, or earthquake the entire event will happen as planned.
What's the schedule going to look like on event day?
- 8:00 am – Everything will be setup and ready to go. If you’re a registered participant you’ll need to pick up your shirts, race bibs, etc as you enter, unless you picked them up at RFENC’s Redding office on the prior Thursday or Friday. Expect a line, especially if you haven’t previously registered online.If you’re there, and you aren’t going to run or walk on the runway, bypass the lines and just come on in.You can walk around and talk to people and visit booths. Buy raffle tickets and see the prizes. Let your children build wooden airplanes or whatever craft they have at the Home Depot booth.
- 9:00 am – The 5K run will begin.
- 9:05 am – The 2 mile fun walk will begin.
If you’re late, chances are slim that you’ll be allowed onto the runway. The reason for this is because we must adhere to a strict schedule of clearing off the runway by a certain time so Benton Airpark can resume normal operation.
- 10:30 am – The raffle will be held. You do not have to be present to win, though we’d love for you to be there so we can celebrate with you with a bunch of whooping and hollering. In 2017 we had many cool prizes to give away such as airline tickets, dinner at Peter Chu’s, a custom wine rack, etc.
* Note that times are approximate and subject to change. The community fair will be going on for the entire duration of the event.
When can I pickup my race bibs, shirts, etc?
You’ll be able to pick up the “race swag” (t-shirts, bibs, etc.) from the Redding office of Rowell Family Empowerment prior to the event. Stay tuned for details as the event gets closer. OR you can wait until the day of the event (Saturday, April 7) and pickup your gear at the door of the event. If you choose this option, be prepared to stand in a line. It’s easier for us if you pickup your gear ahead of time.
By-the-way, if you need directions and address info for Rowell Family Empowerment we got you covered. See a map and info on the locations page.
What kind of stuff was raffled in 2017?
- 1 pair of round-trip tickets to anywhere in the West Coast region PenAir flies
- Another pair of round-trip tickets from PenAir
- 1 night stay at the Executive Suite at Oxford Suites in Redding
- $50 gift certificate for Peter Chu’s Mandarin Cuisine
- A rustic 6-bottle wine rack custom made from reclaimed wood with 3 bottles of wine
- 5×7 autographed prints of Sacramento Kings players Malachi Richardson, Georgios Papagiannis, Arron Afflalo and Willie Cauley-Stein
- Starbucks gift basket
- Autism awareness gift basket
- Gas barbecue grill from Home Depot
- Free cleaning of up to 20 exterior window panes courtesy of 2 Guys Window Cleaning